September 1, 2006

Today is the day that Sandra Flower and I officially hand over Pick of the Patch to our dear friend Sandra Wharton. We both accepted a buy out from Sandra and today is the day Sandra becomes the sole owner of POTP. Today is a day of mixed emotions and reflection for me. I can't believe how young Sandra and I look in this picture. I will only speak for myself but I feel like I have matured through this process of growing Pick of the Patch from a crazy idea to what it is today. I feel like I've toughened up and learned to trust my ideas and instincts better. Perhaps that would have come with age over the past two years anyways but I choose to believe that POTP has strengthened my belief in myself and helped lead me to the place I am today.
There are a few things that I will NEVER do again...
I will never say to a business owner, "Oh, you're so lucky to have your own business". I will say, "You must be an incredibly strong person and a great time manager - how do you do it?"
I will never assume that things just "happen". Behind everything that you see in front of you someone has worked countless hours to make that happen. I try to see that in everything I do now. When I eat out, when I attend an event, when I see a play or a movie or just listen to music I am conscious of how much work someone has put into that very thing I am enjoying at the time. It makes me more appreciative of everything around me.
I will never assume that business owners are lucky enough to "set their own hours". When you are running a successfull business there are never enough hours. You are always working and when you're not working you're either thinking about work or feeling guilty for not working.
I will never underestimage the power of women working together.
I will never again put myself in a position when I feel frustrated with my kids when they want my undivided attention (and that's a tough one for me to admit). Or when they are talking to me and I'm not really listening because my mind is elsewhere or when they ask me why I have to work so much. ..."but mom, it's Saturday".
Thank you POTP for teaching me the life lessons that I needed to learn at this point in my life. Thank you POTP for bringing a group of wonderful ladies into my life that I know will be life long friends. Thank you POTP for making me realize that the grass is NOT always greener on the other side. I have so many fond memories that are making me cry right now but I know POTP isn't going anywhere. Sandra is full of incredible ideas and the store and community will continue to grow and flourish under Sandra's very competent leadership.
To my fellow flowers girls... Be good to Sandra, her job is not an easy one.
To Sandra Flower... Thank you for being my partner through this incredible journey. I am proud of what we accomplished together and that we have remained friends through it all.
To Sandra Wharton... Good luck my friend. I will ALWAYS be here for you.
Tara
xo


6 Comments:
All 3 of you are amazing people and I feel so blessed to have you in my life. Your posts are well written and got me all teary eyed. I'm an emotional wreck today anyway, this is just the icing on the cake.
Today is a big step for all of you and I know it's all for the better. Looking forward to the future and what's in store at POTP.
As I wipe tears away from my eyes.....
Sandra, Tara, and Sandra ... you are all remarkable ladies. Thanks for all your hard work and determination in making The Patch what it is today! I love the store, forum and all the friendships I've made. My life would not be the same without it!!
Sandra F. and Tara ~ we will be chatting with you lots and seeing lots of layouts in the gallery ~ I hope:)
Poco: You have jumped into some big shoes but there is no doubt in my mind you will SOAR very high Kid on this journey. You have many friends who love you and are here to support you! You GO GIRL!!!!
Okay, I'm sitting here crying reading these lovely posts. Congrats to Tara and Sandra F., you created a wonderful place for scrapbookers to come and share and I'm so glad you are both staying on, it wouldn't be the same without you. You've chosen well, Sandra W. is a very special lady and truly holds POTP in her heart.
This is a fantastic tribute Tara.You should be so proud of being part of such an amazing and inspiring community.
I talk about you three ladies often these days, and the one thing I always say is that I take my hat off to you.You are proof that women can build and run a company with grace and humility...not an easy feat at all.
Congrats to all three of you.
And Tara and Sandra Flower: See you on the flip-side ladies!
WOW....Congrats you three....AMAZING!!! I am also glad you guys started POTP and wish sandra all the best with POTP..You are all WONDERFUL!!!
well...i am not sure what more i can add to what all the other incrediable ladies have said already!!! Tara you are an amazing person and i cherish our friendship, more then you will know! I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do after this. You are a smart and creative person ....a dedicated and hard worker....i know that what ever you want to happen will. Enjoy your children now....they need you and you need them!!!
We will always have Vegas Baby!!!! :o)
Post a Comment
<< Home